Friday, December 16, 2011

Kendrick Lamar - Section.80



I've had this album in constant rotation since it dropped, which is a strong indicator that Kendrick Lamar has a bright future in music (or at least in my library). Section.80 (a play on Section 8 and the 1980's) is a conceptual album, chronicling the various emotions, attitudes, and characters that represent the "80's Baby" generation. Topics and specific themes contained in this album are evident from the song titles alone ["A.D.H.D.", "Tammy's Song (Her Evils)", and "Poe Mans Dreams (His Vice)"]. The album plays like a very fluid movie, with thought-provoking content and high quality production. The interludes are perfect and provide a great narrative to the story, while the diverse instrumentation allows Kendrick to show off his unique and everchanging delivery. This is one of those works that you can get lost in, playing over and over, picking up new pieces to the puzzle with each spin.

"A.D.H.D." encapsulates so much about this generations disposition to drugs, differing view points in relationships, and just the daily life of a 20-30 year-old.
I’m in the house party trippin off my generation
Sippin cough syrup like its water, never no pancakes in the kitchen
Man, no wonder our lives is caught up in the daily superstition
That the world is bout to end, who gives a fuck? we never do listen
Unless it comes with an 808, a melody and some hoes
Playstation and some drank, technology bought my soul
Looking around and all I see is a big crowd, that’s product of me
And they probably relatives, relevant for a rebel’s dream
Yep, her president is black, she black too
Purple label on her back but that tab is light blue
She take it straight to the head, then she look at me
She got AD-HD…



On "Poe Man's Dreams", K.Dot describes his growth from a child into a man, while his motivation to succeed (family) remains unchanged. 
I'd like to start it out from the bottom and build with ya
Be on my last dollar and split the bill with ya
I’m 23 with morals and plans of living cordial
Not rich, but wealthy. There's nothing you can tell me
My killings are not remorseful
The city got my back, and for that, I give them my torso.




I find the final third of the album really interesting. Each song seems to touch upon the different stages of grief and dealing with pain from the perspective of a man growing out of his youth.

"Chapter 10" leads off with a warning to the 80's Babies - "In time you'll learn this is about you", which could equate to overcoming Denial. The interlude ends with the instruction to "Show Your Pain", to look within and grow from adversity.



The Pain in "Keisha's Song (Her Pain)" is too sad to go into much detail, but unfortunately, not uncommon. In the end Kendrick makes sure to prevent anything like this from happening to his younger siblings, absolving him of any Guilt from lack of guidance.
My little sister eleven, I looked her right in the face
The day that I wrote this song, sat her down and pressed play.



On "Rigamortus", Kendrick blacks out on a rapid-fire flow with such proficiency that you cannot hear a single gasp for breath. This is pure Anger, resulting in the "execution" of any competition.



With "Kush & Corinthians" follow the Compton MC as he Reflects over life's ups and downs. On another listen, it's the perfect tune to vibe out and ponder those events that have brought you to your current state.



"Blow My High" touches on the need to Separate oneself from past bad influences and move Forward towards a Positive future. Also, it's a sweet ode to Aaliyah.



"Ab-Soul's Outro" is an inquisitive Realization and Reconstruction of self, brought to life in the form of spoken word stanzas over incredible live instrumentation.



"HiiiPoWeR" is an anthem for Acceptance of circumstances and Hope going forward, all over head-banging production from J.Cole.



Section.80 is definitely in my Top 5 for this year! Hit iTunes and support Kendrick Lamar for a steal at $8, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment