Saturday, March 24, 2012

"Blessed" - Kendrick Lamar Live in San Francisco


 Hey friends, sorry it's been so long since my last post. I just returned home after spending the last couple weeks in Israel (new job with Waze!), and I'm just now getting around to writing about all the great music I've been enjoying.

Before I get into all of the amazing full length albums recently released (I'm looking at you Cris Cab, Big K.R.I.T. & Rafael Casal), I thought I would share a song that really made an impact on me during my trip overseas.

If you know me, you wouldn't be surprised that I brought my own mix CD to play in the car as I commuted to work everyday in Tel Aviv. While the same CD played twice a day for two weeks can get tiring, there were a few stand out tracks that never got old - "Blessed" being one of them.


Schoolboy Q is a friend and label mate of Kendrick Lamar (along with Ab-Soul and Jay Rock of the Top Dawg Entertainment camp). Q often credits his friends in TDE as the catalyst that made him change his life from street gangster to rap artist, and the song "Blessed" really gives you an inside look at how deep (and lifesaving) their friendship has become.

In the first two verses, Q paints a picture of what he was going through and how sometimes it could be a necessity to stick to the street code. What starts as a calm and quiet musical backdrop, builds in intensity to match Q's tone; this effect really makes the emotion behind his words hit home.

"Story of a gun-clapper really trying to make a change"

But, it's the third verse from Kendrick Lamar that really seals the deal. This is a verse dedicated to his friend, meant to be inspiration and a constant reminder of their story and how everything they're doing now is for the better. The way Kendrick is able to mimic the beat with his delivery is remarkable and just adds to the laundry list of why he will have a long career.

Schoolboy Q feat. Kendrick Lamar - "Blessed" (Habits & Contradictions)


I say all of this to convince you to come see Kendrick Lamar live this Tuesday (March 27th, 2012) at The Regency Ballroom in San Francisco, show starts at 8pm.

Check out Schoolboy Q's latest album Habits & Contradictions, and if you need to catch up on Kendrick Lamar, start with Section.80

- mikhel

No comments:

Post a Comment